Sunday, October 26, 2014

Missonaries

Missionaries

If you aren't Mormon, you've probably heard a few interesting things about our church. Some true and some...not-so-true things. Yes we do not drink or smoke. We do not, despite popular belief, have multiple wives. Yes we are Christians. We believe God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate beings. No we do not all drive mini vans and live in Utah. In fact, there are over 15,082,028 members of the church all over the world today! There are also about 88,00 missionaries serving in various countries. 

Why do Mormons serve missions? Robert, currently serving in Montana, said,"We go on missions to share the Gospel with everyone. We are to Invite others to come unto Christ. This message is sacred and of the utmost importance. We should be shouting it from the rooftops and telling all of our friends how this gospel can change their lives just as it has mine. I've seen more spiritual things happen on my mission than any other time so far. It is so amazing to watch someone you've been teaching enter the waters of baptism!"

My family has had the privilege of three missionaries in our very own family so far. My brother Drew, sister Sarah, and sister Jessica. I would like to focus on my sister Jessica in particular. 

Before Jessica left, her and I did everything together. We both are avid sports lovers, especially basketball, Lord of the Rings fanatics, and possess an easy-going, friendly personality, we always have fun no matter what we were doing. Jessica is currently serving a mission for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has been gone for 13 months. Reading her letters has helped strengthen my testimony and faith. She is one of my greatest examples. 


Something I really admire about Jessica is her ability to love. She is very charitable to all God's children. She forgets herself and her own trials and instead asks, "Who needs me? Who can I serve today?". With every companion she has had, she learns how to succor to their needs and learns how to love them individually, like God would.

I am thankful for the example Jessica has set as a true disciple of Christ. It is hard to comprehend exactly how much she sacrifices every single day as a missionary sharing the gospel. Although I do miss her A TON, I know she is where the Lord needs her and will come back a little more refined and have a stronger testimony on Christ and of this glorious gospel. 

Thank you Jess for choosing to serve a mission. I love you. 

Joshua 24:15
Alma 30:8

No comments:

Post a Comment