Saturday, November 1, 2014

People

People

"And becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willingness to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." (Mosiah 3:19)

I remember as a child having the ability to be friends with anyone and everyone. Immediately I would love them with out even knowing very much about them. I didn't need to know what their favorite color was or what interests we had in common to love them, I loved them because they were human. 

As I have grown older, I have lost this ability to love unconditionally. I have allowed judgment and criticism to restrict me from loving anyone and everyone as easily as I once did as a child. In society, it is what we do. At first glance we immediately begin to make accusations or put people into certain 'categories' of social status. This could also be called, 'first impressions'. If a man is homeless, it is because he did not work hard enough or care enough to make a better life for himself. But did we even think about the suffering he went through or how he came to be this way? With out even talking to someone, we can infer their life. We do not mean to judge, but being human, it is just what we do.

But if you never let go of judgment and criticism, you will never get to know how truly incredible and amazing every single person is. After all, we all are the same. We all want is to feel loved, important, and like we have a purpose. Let that influence you before you judge someone. Think of how they need more love, or how they might feel insignificant, or that they are lost. Wouldn't you want someone to do the same for you?

This is the greatest concept I have learned my senior year in high school. I have gone to the same school with the same kids for four years. Hello? Of course I know everything about every single person. Duh? Nope. Wrong. It has been the most amazing experience to learn how to love anyone and everyone again. It brings so much happiness. People will surprise you with how similar they are to you. They, too, are looking for friendship and to feel like they matter. 

At times, it isn't easy to love EVERYONE. Some people might drive you crazy! Some people might not even be kind to you, so why should you be kind to them? (John 21:17) "Lovest thou me? And he saith unto him, Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith into him, Feed my sheep." 

The Savior asked Simon three times if he loved him, and he replied three times with, "Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee", but did Simon truly love the Savior? Do we truly love the Savior? Are we loving all those around us unconditionally as the Savior would? Are we serving our fellow men?  We are His hand and His feet. Christ has asked that we simply, 'Feed my sheep' to show that we love Him. 

Decide today to love a little more than the day before. Become as  a little child, kind, gentle, and caring. Cherish the friendship you have and listen more to those who need you and need your time.  Live as if it were your last day on earth.

'Feed my sheep'



No comments:

Post a Comment