Saturday, January 3, 2015

Morrie

Morrie

My Dearest Friend


"Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live." (pg.81)




The summer of 14' I was introduced to one of my dearest friends, Tuesdays with Morrie, a positively wonderful book. Caleb and I used to love to go to Slurp and talk for hours. We would talk about everything. One day, he was telling me about one of his favorite books, Tuesdays with Morrie. From how Caleb described it, it sounded stupendous! I wanted to start reading it right away! If I read it, not only would I gain a different perspective on life, but more importantly, I would look kinda cool in front of Caleb. Like, "Hey! Remember that book you told me about that changed your life? Yeah. Totally read it. It was grand. What else you got?" So naturally I went to Barnes and Nobel and purchased the book right away. 

At first, it was slow. I brushed the book off to the side and didn't get into it. I didn't see why Caleb loved this book so much. What's all the hoopla about? A book about a man and his college professor? Okay, boring. I don't relate to this story. But if I give up, Caleb will nag me about it and I can't let him have the upper hand well can I? No way. So I continued to read.

As the book progressed, I got lost in it's pages. I found myself reading for hours and wondering where the time had gone. I scribbled and underlined the words and phrases that made life sound exciting. Made me want to soak in every moment granted here on earth. Made me want to dance more, laugh more, listen better, say I love you more, be more patient, kind, forgiving, etc. 

"The loving relationships we have, the universe around us,
 we take these things for granted." (pg.84)

Everything Morrie said was directed to me. I ached to learn and become like Morrie. He understood how to appreciate everything. He understood that time is valuable and cannot be wasted and should be filled with joy. "Not paying as much attention to the mail, instead listening more to music and watching the leaves change color through his window." (pg.161) Although I never met Morrie, he was my dearest friend and teacher. He made me want to see more and do more! He taught me how to live.

It's funny to think about how much just one person can effect your life. For me, a boy that wanted to share what he learned and loved with me so that I could discover the powerful influence of a humble man named Morrie, changed my life. I want to be better and do better each day. 

Something that is emphasized in the book a lot, is constant change. You cannot control what will happen each day, but can control how you react. Every day is another opportunity to start again. Perhaps today I was short with my dad, and I didn't get anything done that I needed to, or I let fear hold me back, but that's okay. Tomorrow I will do better. 

"Life went on one precious day at a time." (pg.80) 

That is exactly how I want to live my life, "one precious day at a time". I want to appreciate the not-so-good days and the 'oopsie' moments (I have a lot of those). I want to tell the ones I care about I love them more. I want to take time to feel the warm sun on my face and watch the leaves change colors. I want to be with the people I am with, to actually be there, listening and loving. I want to be more spontaneous and to be myself. I want to live each day! 

Thanks to an old man, and a young man, I have learned and continue to learn life's greatest lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment