Sunday, March 29, 2015


"We never came to earth
 to save ourselves,
but to save each other."


This weekend has been filled with many emotions. And I feel as if  I have learned more in these few days than I have in my entire lifetime. I don't know if it's because I have had experiences that have built up to this point, or that I was seeking to feel the spirit more earnestly than before. But I would like to share what I experienced:



On Saturday morning, I attended a funeral of a young man that I grew up with in my ward in Mapleton. I was not close to him, but was deeply impacted by the tragic loss. His name is Arik Mack. I have attended many many funerals, but have never been moved in such a way as was experienced. 

As family members shared memories they had with Arik, it brought light into a darkened and sorrowful room. The contrast was beautiful. Here was a tragic event and yet joy was still felt because life continues on after death. I have a testimony of the plan of salvation. Heavenly Father has a plan and a mission for each of his children that will continue after death and for eternity. It is a beautiful thought to be able to continue to progress in the next life and eventually, become perfect.

His father's testimony will remain with me forever. The light of Christ beamed from his entire being! It was indescribably beautiful. He said, "You may think you know how much time you have, but you don't. You never really know". I was taken back by the realization of his words. We really don't know how much time we have. Life is so precious that we cannot waste it. We simply do not have time to waste time. Don't wait till tomorrow to say you love someone. Do it today. In fact, do it right now! Don't wait for an apology, just forgive. Forgive people endlessly. Let go. Don't be afraid to be vulnerable. Vulnerability is where growth happens. Be there for people. Make your life about others. Engulf yourself in helping others. Take time to get to know people. Know them for more than a surface relationship. Learn their hopes, dreams, ambitions, talents, strengths, potential, etc. I was taught by someone once to look at people for what they could become, not for who they are right now. We have endless potential. Never never never give up on someone. The Savior never quit on us, so don't quit on yourself or others.  

The spirit that filled the chapel was incredible. I didn't need to know everyone around me to feel love for each person in the room. You could just feel love emulating from every person there. The gospel has the inspiring ability to unify and heal any broken heart. Through the atonement of Jesus Christ, we can overcome any obstacle, addiction, sorrow, or sin. We CAN become clean. We have a Savior who atoned for the pains of all mankind. That includes you. He suffered for you personally. The atonement is intimate and infinite.
  
When I think of the Mack family, I think of unconditional love. And not just for those that they are close with, but EVERYONE. Immediately Liz will embrace you with a warm hug and make you feel like the most important person in the world. Their family is so special. Thank you for being an example of perfect love. I cannot wait for the day when they have the glorious reunion with Arik. What a beautiful day that will be. 

To whomever is reading this, I want you to know that the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true. I have a testimony of sure conviction that it is true. We have a loving Heavenly Father who, more than anything, wants His children to be happy. Through keeping the commandments and making/keeping covenants, we achieve happiness. I am so grateful to have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion. I know the scriptures are the true word of God. Christ came to earth to atone for the sins of the world and provide a way for us to repent and become perfected in Him. I know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God. He restored the church, and for that I am eternally thankful. I know that families can be together forever. When we remember that we never came to earth to save ourselves, but to save each other, is when we begin to live and understand the gospel. God is always there for us. The power of prayer is incomprehensible. No matter how far we have strayed from the path, we can start again and strive each day to be disciples of Christ. If you do have a testimony of the gospel, SHARE IT. It was not by chance you were given the privilege of the knowledge of the gospel. It is your duty and responsibility to bring others to the light. Stand as a beacon of hope.  We are all children of a loving God. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

  



Three questions to ponder when you reflect upon your life:

  • Are you giving to your community?
  • Are you at peace with yourself?
  • Have you found someone to share your heart with?
  • Are you trying to be as human as possible?




No comments:

Post a Comment