Thursday, April 23, 2015

Give Until You Have Given Your All.

April 23, 15

This week has been full of growth. I have learned so much about myself and the importance of others. Here are a few of the experiences I had and what I learned from them: 

On Monday we had our weekly sem council meeting after school. I love going to those meetings so very much. Each time I walk away feeling empowered and confident. Our lesson this week was particularly wonderful. It was on building capability in ourselves and others. Here are a few things that the spirit impressed upon my heart:
  • Mistakes are part of learning.
  • Build and establish patterns of righteousness.
  • Focus on others.
  • The Lord hasn't given you talents for self-promotion, but to bless and enrich the lives of others.
  • Put your talents to good use.
  • Take time to ponder each day. Ponder. Ponder. Ponder.
  • What effect will I leave behind? How do the choices I make effect other people?
  • Have a close relationship with Heavenly Father.
And my favorite quote I heard in the meeting was:

"The most important thing you can
 leave are people who have
 increased in capacity and confidence."
-Elder Bednar

Members of sem council shared their impression and the improvements they want to make. There was a spirit of reverence and unity. I just wanted to shout, "Hey team, you and you and you and even you, have ENDLESS potential! Never give up for the Lord is ALWAYS with thee!!" I want so badly for each person to succeed and feel that they are loved and know that they are a child of God. The best investment we can make is in others. Invest your time, love, compassion, talents, knowledge, riches, etc. Give until you have given your all. Make other's salvation a personal responsibility. "Thee lift me, and I'll lift thee, and we'll ascend together." It was a wonderful lesson, and I feel as if it were preparing me for a vital principal I will need to constantly work on during my lifetime and for eternity. 

Another experience I had was, my sister Jessica returning from her mission. She came home on Tuesday and what a wonderful day it was. It was the first time our family has been all together in three years. As we waited at the airport to see our beloved Jess, we witnesses a lot of missionaries returning home to their families as well. It was so beautiful to watch the joy as they embraced their son/daughter with loving arms. They treasured each other and emulated perfect love. I wish that joy and appreciation for one another could always be expressed. Love is the reason we are here. We came to earth because we have a loving Heavenly Father who wants each of us to obtain eternal life and reach our fullest potential. We are given families because we love each other. In our families, we learn how to love people, even when we don't always get a long (*cough* more like learn how to not kill someone whom you're forced to live with). We are given agency to choose weather or not to love others. It take constant effort and focus to obtain perfect love.

I believe that love can solve any problem. Love and a humble heart. Relationships would be saved if one merely chose to love, instead of be right. People would find purpose if love was a priority, instead of a convenience. Time would be saved if one chose to forgive unconditionally, instead of wait for an apology. Pure love is not just to those who are kind to you. It's easy to be kind to those who express love to you. But perfect love is being as the Savior, “We love him, because he first loved us” (1 Jn. 4:19).
When our family was reunited as a whole, with Jess, I felt perfect love. That feeling was incredible. I want to feel that every moment toward every human. Love is essentially the enabling power of the atonement and can change any heart.

The last experience I would like to share is from my own personal experience and is about the importance of people. I was winding down for bed, pondering about my day and just thinking about life. I began to think about all the wonderful people I know and how my life has been effected by positive influences. It then hit me, there are no such things as accidents. I feel a little silly, but I had never understood this before. There really are no accidents in life. Everything happens for a reason. And everyone comes into your life with a specific purpose. Whether it be to teach, train, edify, refine, inspire, love, etc. You can learn something precious and valuable from each person you meet. Even the person you pass in the street, they too can have an impact on your day/life. One person can truly make a difference. That includes you. By your example, good or bad, people will be effected. We have the power to help others along their journey and lift their burdens and make life a little easier. Through serving others, you truly discover your worth.


"Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him."
(John 8:28-29)


I am so thankful that Heavenly Father could provide opportunities for me to learn and grow this week. I know that by loving and serving others, we will become like Christ and develop a love for all man. It is easy to get overwhelmed and think that we will never be good enough, but by small things are great things brought to pass. Through constant prayer, we will feel our burdens be lightened. We will develop a desire to do good continually and ask, "Lord is it I?". 

I love this gospel and feel blessed to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We belong to a church of hope, perseverance, change, forgiveness, and progression. I am thankful for the joy that I feel from this knowledge and hope that if I can bring but one soul unto Christ, "how great shall be your joy". (D&C 18:5-16) 

The formula for happiness:
Give until you have
given your all.




Sister Benson finally home at last!

1 comment:

  1. wow, I really like this post! This is something I have been think about too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete