Sunday, May 24, 2015

Seminary Graduation Talk

Tonight I given the chance to speak at our stake seminary graduation with my wonderful seminary council partner Matthew Marinos (aka: an angel). As I prepared my talk, I was very emotional. It's finally starting to hit me that I am growing up and will no longer get to see all the hilarious, eclectic kids of Westlake High. I'm really going to miss it. 

A lot of prayers were said in the process of writing my talk as the spirit prompted me what to say. 

Here's what I said tonight: 


Hi brothers and sisters! I’m so thankful for the opportunity to speak to you today. As I was preparing my talk, and pondering my four years in seminary and exactly what I wanted to share with you, I felt an overwhelming feeling of gratitude to my Heavenly Father for all the incredible people I have been blessed with. Thinking about these people, I realized one key factor that ties us all together, which is the gospel of Jesus Christ. When we are living the gospel and filled with the light of Christ, barriers are broken, hearts are softened, forgiveness is given, we learn to love all God’s children and see them for more than who they currently are, but for as they could become, which is essentially, like God.


Each of us in this room is blessed to have the knowledge of the gospel here on earth. I want to speak specifically to the senior for a moment. You are about to go to the battle front. Wherever you go, you will represent our Savior Jesus Christ. You will be provided opportunities to share the gospel every single day, whether you want to or not. If we ourselves are not fully immersed in this gospel and fully converted, we cannot bring others to Christ. And brothers and sisters, they need it. They need to hear our good message and know that they have a Savior who suffered for them. You already have this knowledge,  they are waiting for you to share your light. Do you stand firm as a disciple of Christ with the armour of God on? We can illuminate the world with the light of Christ by choosing each day to live the simple truths of the gospel and love it. Because it is so wonderful and brings so much joy. It is our personal duty and responsibility to share it with all the world. Our mission is to testify of Christ at all times, in all things, and in all places. Now is the time to wake up the world!


Some of you will be serving missions, going to college, or working. Will you stand firm in the truths your parents have  taught you? Will you be anxiously engaged in building the kingdom of God? Will you take what your seminary teachers, young women’s and young men’s leaders, your bishops, have taught you and LIVE IT?


If you do not know if this gospel is true, pray...ask God. Search, ponder, and pray with all your might until you know for yourself. Because God needs you...TODAY.


Some of you are going through some of the hardest trials in your life. You may have lost hope in yourself or you Heavenly Father. You may feel completely and utterly alone. I stand before you today to testify that you are never alone...ever.


10 ¶Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.


God has never given up on you, so don’t you dare give up on Him.
One of my dearest friends shared this poem with me, and I would like to share it with you. It is entitled, Foot Prints In The Sand.


One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.


Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."
Mary Stevenson




Christ will always be with us. We have a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to succeed and triumph over all.

I know this gospel is true brothers and sisters. I know it is. It brings me so much joy and feel so grateful to have the knowledge of the gospel. Through studying D&C this year in seminary, I have a firm testimony of Joseph Smith. He is a man of God. The atoment is real and can change any willing heart. I have a testimony of prayer. Our Heavenly Father loves us and will always answer our prayers. Always.


As you are about to begin your journey seniors, keep the gospel as your focus. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely amazing. I love this. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete