Thursday, November 13, 2014

Purpose

Purpose

This year I was called onto Seminary Council. When I received the calling, my testimony was weak and I did not feel qualified in any way. I did not understand why God called ME. Out all the hundreds of young woman in my stake, why me? I did not consider myself a good example for others to follow, why would Heavenly Father choose me? 

It wasn't till tonight I understand my purpose on seminary council.

Tonight our Seminary Council got together with American Fork's Seminary Council. We had a devotional, played games, discussed what works with each council, etc.

On the way home from the get together, a young man on our own Seminary Council expressed the suffering he has endured with recently discovering he has depression. I had no idea what he was going through. He is such a light to everyone and is always seen with a smile on his face. This broke my heart. How could I not have noticed? Was I too concerned with my life and what I was going through to look for those who need me and need my help?

He expressed how he could not remember the last time he felt genuinely happy. I wanted to cry for him. Not because I felt sympathy, but because I do not believe anyone should feel they cannot feel real happiness and joy. My heart ached to take away his pain. During the car ride, I kept praying and praying that the Spirit would prompt me to say something that would give him comfort.

Matthew (another member of seminary council), was sitting in the back and shared with him the importance of a patriarchal blessing. Not to simply read it, but to know it. Memorize it. Go to it often for guidance and comfort. 

It was incredible to hear Matthew bare his testimony with the struggling young man and to witness the change in the young man. The Spirit touched his heart and bore witness to him that he is a beloved son of God.

Coming home, I have pondered my calling on seminary council. A specific quote came to my mind several times, "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called". 

God has been preparing me for this calling all along. He has a work for me to do and needs me to 'Feed His sheep'. As Christ did, I will seek for opportunities to love and nurture Heavenly Fathers beloved children.

Seminary Council has been the biggest blessing for me my senior year. It is exactly what I need to become a disciple of Christ. 



Seminary Council 2014-15

Best bunch of kids in the wild wild west.

No comments:

Post a Comment